February 1, 2018

Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Accommodations

Accommodations for students who are Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing include American Sign Language interpreters, oral interpreters, and class transcribers as well as the provision of FM systems.

The SDC employs sign language interpreters who are qualified to interpret college-level courses. The SDC coordinator of Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing accommodations is one of these interpreters.

All SDC interpreters are graduates of a recognized interpreter preparation program and/or otherwise, have the skills necessary to interpret a college-level curriculum.  All interpreters are expected to abide by the Interpreters Code of Conduct while employed with the university.

Oral or sign language interpreting services are provided, at no charge, to qualified Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing students for classes and other academic meetings or university sponsored programs.

For students who do not know sign language or cannot benefit from oral interpreting, class transcribers (CTs) may be an option. However, this accommodation is limited due to specific university and community resources and cannot be guaranteed.

FM systems are helpful for students with less severe hearing loss or who have central auditory processing limitations that make it difficult to block extraneous noises.

Requests for any of the interpreting services for classes and/or academic meetings need to be made through the SDC coordinator of Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing accommodations in a timely manner in order to ensure the accommodation will be available.

University-sponsored programs that are open to the general public are often interpreted in sign language. If not publicized as interpreted, a student may need to contact the sponsoring unit or contact the SDC to request an interpreter be present. It is the responsibility of the sponsoring university unit to arrange and pay for this service although the SDC interpreters are often used for such purposes.

For non-university meetings or programs, a student may request an interpreter from Connections for Independent Living, 970-352-8682.  The student may be responsible for making arrangements, as well as for the cost, depending upon the purpose of the meeting (e.g., personal).