April 19, 2018

Grievance Procedure

Students are encouraged to file a complaint/grievance if they feel they have been discriminated against or treated unfairly. The below information outlines the different processes students can follow to file a complaint/grievance.

Resolving issues within the Student Disability Center

The staff of the SDC are committed to working with and for each student who comes into the office. However, it is also recognized that not all students will be satisfied with their interaction with the staff of SDC.

If a student has a complaint about any of the staff in the SDC, the student is encouraged to contact the SDC director to help resolve the issue. If the student has a complaint about the SDC director, the student should contact the Assistant Vice President for Inclusive Excellence, who oversees the Student Diversity Program and Services offices to help resolve the issue.

When a student requests specific accommodations, an SDC specialist will consider all relevant information provided by the student to determine whether or not the request is reasonable as an accommodation. If a student feels the decision made is not appropriate for their needs, the student can meet with the SDC director to further discuss the student’s situation and to see if any changes can or should be made.

If the student is still dissatisfied with the outcome of their request for an accommodation, the student can avail themselves of other resources to help resolve the issue including meeting with the Student Resolution Center or by contacting the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.

If the student feels the SDC decision is discriminatory, the student is free to file a complaint with the Office of Equal Opportunity as described below.

Resolving Issues with Other Entities on Campus

If a student encounters an issue with an instructor or staff member where they feel they are being denied equal access or discriminated against they are first encouraged to contact the SDC to see if staff can resolve the issue. The accommodations specialists and the director will work to resolve the issue without escalating the situation. However, if the issue is not able to be resolved the student may need to file a formal complaint.

Students wishing to file a formal complaint of discrimination need to contact the Office of Equal Opportunity. Once the complaint is filed OEO will conduct a thorough investigation and work to resolve the situation.

Students who file complaints are protected from any retaliation.

If a complaint involves being denied a certain accommodation, the student will be granted the accommodation until the issue is resolved.

OEO Grievance Resources

Office of Civil Rights

Students who feel they have been discriminated again are also free to file a complaint with the U.S. Office of Civil Rights.

OCR Contact Information

Colorado Civil Right Division
1560 Broadway, Suite 825
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-894-2997 | Toll Free: 800-886-7675 | 711 TTD – Relay
Hotline Español: 720-432-4294
Fax: 303-894-2683
General Inquiries: DORA_CCRD@State.co.us
Intake Unit: DORA_CCRDIntake@State.co.us
ADR Unit (Mediation and Conciliation): DORA_CCRDADR@State.co.us